Monday, June 2, 2008

Oh, my thumb.


Recently I accepted a job at Einstein's Bagels. On Saturday, it was crazy busy and someone ordered a honey whole wheat bagel warmed, not toasted. I took the warm bagel out of the microwave and grabbed our brand new bagel knife in order to slice it. I don't know if you've ever tried to slice a hot bagel, but it's pretty difficult. It's more of a sawing than slicing. You can guess what happened next: I sliced my thumb right along with the bagel and in a swift, epic move I grabbed my thumb, spun around, and held it over the sink in the back. There was so much blood I couldn't even see the cut. There was a giant flurry of people around me, gauze was thrown at me from somewhere, and I was told to hold my hand above my heart. The next thing I knew, a coworker was taking my car keys and rushing me to the Emergency Room. By then, the bleeding had subsided enough for me to see the cut. Come to find out, I didn't cut my finger..... I filleted it. I was thisclose to cutting a piece of my thumb right on off.
I arrived at the Emergency Room and the perky nurse with a wide toothy smile cheerfully inspected the wound and asked me when my last tetanus shot was. By then, my mom was with me and she said she could not remember the last time I had a shot of any kind. In the treatment room, I was given not one, but SEVEN shots. (one in my arm, six in my thumb) Then a doctor came in and scanned the barcode on my little bracelet thing and gave me three stitches. Needless to say, I'm a little sore.
I'm kind of excited, though.
Hopefully I'll get an awesome scar.

1 comment:

Jared said...

I know a good Orthopaedic Surgeon